Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cheap Therapy

Molly's dress
Back of Molly's dress
Close up of Molly's bishop

This is a special dress for a special girl who is not my daughter. I made this for a friend in Michigan who doesn't know it's coming. Well, maybe she does now. It's my first bishop. I'm a little bit sad to send this dress away because I'm really happy with how it turned out. It makes me want to have a child with a first name starting with M just so they can wear it. At the same time, this dress has been my therapy for the last month and there is something about seeing it finished and sending it on that is quite fitting. 99% of the handwork on this dress was done in doctor's offices. I had just started smocking this dress when I found out I was pregnant. When I started bleeding I took it with me to the ER to work on while I waited. It turned out that my pregnancy was ectopic. Over the next month I had a lot of appointments to deal with that, and this dress came to every one. I find handwork relaxing. My mind wanders as I sew and I often come to solutions to problems while I'm working. In this case I found creating something beautiful for someone else theraputic. I think it's fitting that I've finished up this dress today when we have just been given the green light to try for another baby.

This is also an example of what you can accomplish in 5 minute snippets of time. I sewed the last snap on this morning while waiting for a meeting at the symphony office. Our personnel director saw me and commented that I was always sewing. That is the secret to how I accomplish so (sew?) much.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Katy, I'm totally speechless (and tearing up). How absolutely gorgeous -- M will be thrilled and I'm really touched. I can see a bunch of photo shoots in M's future! :D I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys and I'm sending lots of good TTC thoughts your way.

    And, yes, I'm a total blog stalker, so the cat's out of the bag! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there will be lots of beautiful pics of M in this beautiful dress!!! What a beautiful story behind the dress. Sending you all of my baby dust!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like it! I hope it fits her, I guessed on size and I think I guessed large based on our small 3-1/2 year old neighbor. I have an extremely skewed sense of size because WG is such a skinny sasquatch. Better too big than small, though! I'll be excited to see some pics of M in the dress. : )

    ReplyDelete